Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

That's How I Roll.....a flower

ALL THUMBS?  EASY WAY TO ROLL FLOWERS

I love making flowers from fabric scraps.  There are lots of methods available on the internet.  This is just an easier way for me since I don't have great hand coordination. I use my quilt design wall to secure the flower as it's being made.  Another option is to use a small piece of foam core poster board, cork board or styrofoam board.



Supplies:
Fabric strip 2" wide X 22" long (avg) 
Liquid fabric glue
Pins
Board

I like the frayed look so I ripped my fabric used in photos.  After folding my fabric strip lengthwise, I knot the end and pin the knot to my board.  I twist the fabric strip kinda loosely every few inches.












I glue the twisted roll onto the side of the fabric knot tucking under any tail extending from the knot.  

Using pins to secure each twisted fabric roll, I just built each roll upon roll.  


The photos show a sample made from a 33" strip of lightweight vintage fabric which yielded a 3" flower.  The final size of the flower will be determined by the fabric thickness and the tightness of your twist.

This week I am participating in link parties at  Chatty Chics , Be Different..Act Normal, Funky Junk Interiors, Craft Envy, Ginger Snap Crafts, Southern Lovely, Not Just A Housewife, The Shabby Creek Cottage and Today's Creative Blog